Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Yo hot bags!


Setting: Winter distinguished the sun, dropping our home temp to 50 degrees.
Kiel: I'm freezing. My toes are numb.
Me: Mine too. My joints are frozen and I can't move. 
This is where I had a light bulb moment as a distant memory popped into my head. My mom made us some heating bags when I was little and I would use mine all the time
I would heat mine up and hold it on my lap with my hands under it and stay so nice and toasty warm during the Idaho winters. At night I would warm it up and put it at the bottom of my bed over my feet. Mmm. Cozy.
This is basically the solution to all my problems. And they're stinking easy to make. It seriously took me about 30 minutes to make two of them. And they.are.wonderful! Also they are cheap and very useful. In other words, these would make a GREAT Christmas present. Just sayin.

Here's how its done:

1. Cut out two squares of fabric. This will be your bag.
 B. Place the fabric so the printed sides are facing each other.
C. Sew around your square leaving a 3 inch opening so you can pour in your filling. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end so your bag is nice and strong! 
 D. Trim the corners. This makes it so your corners are poiky. Like sharpish. You know what I mean. 
 E. Using your small opening, pull your bag inside out so the print is now on the outside.
 F. Make the corners sharp lookin. Pencils are great for this.
  You will want a funnel for filling the bag. If you don't already have one, Trader Joe ads work great. Just tape it in a cone shape.
 G. Now fill er up! I had my side-kick help me with this part. He had so much fun! Yeah, it made a little mess but his huge smile and careful shakey hands were worth it.


 Parks Man didn't help at all. He just sat there and watched. And then pulled everything out of the cupboards and tried to throw it in the bag too. 
  Fill the bag a little more than half full. You don't want it over stuffed!
 At this point I broke out my essential oils. Lavender calms and relaxes so now every time I heat up my bag I also infuse peace into my home. Love!
 H. I sprinkled a few drops of oil into my bag.
 I. Fold over the sides in the opening.
J. Yup. Pinch together. 
 K. Sew that holla sucka up!
 L. Nuke for 3-5 minutes and warm up those frosty fingers and toes!

Fabric: 
You can use anything COTTON. I used some of that snuggle flannel fabric from Joanns. 

Filling options: 
Rice -not instant!- I used brown rice because that's what I had on hand
oats
wheat
feed corn
beans
flax seed
barley

Hot bag purposes:
 heat and place on aches and pains for a soothing effect
place on tummy to relieve menstrual cramps
place on hands or toes to warm em up!
place at the bottom so its toasty warm when you get in

As you can see these things are totally awesome! And you totally don't know how you've lived so long without one. Well you've been freezing and aching. That's how. But now you don't have to anymore cuz you can totally make your own in no time! =0) 

2 comments:

JeNnA said...

So I love the post not because of what you were making.... but those are extremely awesome and I am now going to make a few, its because you are a comedian and you make such a simple post, hilarious. or maybe its just me that thinks its funny! I also love your nail polish job. ;) And i love your little men pictures! How'd they work? Did Kiel love it?

Michelle said...

Caleb and Parker are as cute as ever!! :D How cold is it there?