Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Blessings

After a week of extreme stress and anxiety, I am so relieved to finally feel some of that lifted. Last Saturday Kiel and I were on a date when we recieved a phone call from my parents. Somehow they broke the news to us that my mom's liver was completely engolfed in cancer. The news came as a total shock; she is only in her 40s and still has 6 little kids at home. None of us were expecting it. To tell the truth when they called and said they had something to tell us the first thing I thought was that they were going to have ANOTHER baby! I was so wrong. So after a couple of very difficult days and after talking with my sisters in NY, we decided that we were going to go ahead and go home to be together and deal with this together. So we got tickets and flew to Arizona yesterday morning. It has been such a blessing! It is so wonderful to see my mother so happy and healthy looking, you would never know anything was terribly wrong. She is the one holding our hands and telling us everything is great and exactly how it should be or this wouldn't be happening at all. It is such a blessing to be able to be here and feel her positive influence even in the midst of such a huge trial. She has been an amazing example and has tought me so many lessons through her example but I think that she is teaching me the most right now by placing all of her faith so happily in Heavenly Father at this time when I know I would be freaking out and without a doubt considering all of the negative possibilities of the future. But she doesn't dwell on the negative at all--she just keeps saying how happy she is that we are all here right now and her only concern is for how it is affecting us. She is just so unselfish!

When my parents told us about mom's cancer they also told us that they were planning a two week trip to Hawaii so we could go and spend time together enjoying eachother and making memories. We have always wanted to go to Hawaii as a family (my parents never invited me for some reason every other time they've gone...) and right now seemed like the perfect oppertunity. We are leaving for Hawaii on the 3rd and coming back exactly two weeks later...isn't that great?! We will be on Oahu and Maui and maybe visit a few other islands. However...as great as going to Hawaii would normally be it was overshadowed by the reality of the situation. But we were blessed again today! My mom had a biopsy yesterday and recieved the results today. She didn't have the form of cancer the Dr thought she had which would have given her a few weeks, or a few months at best. Rather she has a form of cancer which is a very slow-growing cancer. That presented the possibility of months or maybe even years rather than weeks...what a total relief!! However, we also found out that the cancer is in several other organs and areas so a liver transplant is no longer an option. So we will wait for a few more tests and see just how quickly the tumors are growing. And although we might only have a few weeks to enjoy together, we might even have a few years!! I will enjoy Hawaii so much more knowing that! What a blessing!!!!! What a blessing to be surrounded with family that makes this so much easier! Aunt Christine is taking care of the whole Hawaii trip for us and aunt Jenise flew in to spend the weekend here and she always makes everything more fun...Its just so great!

I really want to thank everyone for their prayers in our behalf, especially my mother's. I know it makes such a difference and I have already seen the power prayer has whether its an answer as we would most like it or whether its an answer of comfort...I am so blessed to have the assurance that comes from knowing there is someone who loves us so much and is acutely aware of our every need and desire and wants so bad to give us what we want but knows what we need and always guides us in the way that is ultimately best. Thank you so much for your prayers and support!

11 comments:

Jenny Hill said...

We have been praying for you and your family ever since we found out. Keep us updated. We love your family. Enjoy Hawaii!

Amy Legler said...

Sweetie I am so sorry! I will definately keep you and your family in my prayers. I love you!

rYLeE & KaTiE said...

Oh Gretchen. My heart just goes out to you and your family. I have been pretty sick the last month and your mom's perspective on life gives me a big kick in the butt to have a more eternal perspective.

Let us know if you need anything at all. Like taking a meal down to Kiel a night or two or really just anything at all.

We love you guys and will keep you in our prayers!

jennybhill said...

You have been in our prayers too. I am so glad to read your blog and hear your thoughts and to know how things are in Arizona. Please keep writing whenever you have things you feel like sharing.

JeNnA said...

Hey gretch, I was just going to call but then decided to look at your blog... I had all my answers there. I'm glad that her last appointment was a little more positive. You mom IS a strong women, very faithful. Thats how i've always known her. She knows that everything happens for a reason! and its true! if you need anything at all that i can do... don't hesitate to call! love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gretch and Kiel, just wanted you to know that we have been thinking about you guys a lot. We love you guys and will keep you in our prayers.

Kelsey Romph said...

Gretchen, we love you! We will pray for you and your family! Thank you for strengthening our testimony through yours! If you ever need anything, let us know!

Adam & Alissa said...

I am so sorry! Unfortunately I understand some of the feelings and emotions you are going through. My husband is here today and that is proof that miracles do happen in one way or another. The biggest lesson I learned during Adam's treatments last year is to put ALL my faith in the Lord's plan and that he knows what is best for us. I admire your families strength. It is amazing how people like your mom and my husband stay so positive during such a heartbreaking time.What an example.

"The battle with cancer, as many call it, is not won or lost in life or death, but in our own attitude. Will we let cancer conquer us? The true battle is how it affects you-whether you let it overcome you or whether you decide to stay positive, confront it, fight a good fight, and become better for it!

Our prayers are with you and your family!

-Alissa & Adam Ingersoll (Natalie & Bryce's Family)

Adria said...

Gretchen!! Look how beautiful and grown up you are! I haven't seen you in years! I am so sorry to hear about your mother. It seems like the Lord has already poured out some tender mercies and you and your family. Enjoy Hawaii and your time together. We will keep you in our prayers.
-Adria Svancara- (Johnson)

Kevin and Missa said...

Please let me know if there is anything we can do... dinners... ANYTHING!! We are praying for you and your family.

Jon and Ashley Lefrandt said...

Gretchen and Kiel:

Hey! This is Jon Lefrandt... I am a friend of Kiels from the mission. I think I met you (Gretchen) once when Kiel and I were studying in the library for accounting 2 1/2 years ago :) My how time flies!

I just wanted to write a quick note, first to say how glad I am that I found you guys on facebook and no on blogger! It will be great to keep in touch.

Second, my father just passed away in September after fighting brain cancer. He was only 46. Cancer is a tough battle. It can be extremely difficult, but I wish you and your family the very best! I know that miracles can happen and hopefully they do with your Mom! Keep your chin up and count your blessings every day.

I wish you all the very best. Tell Kiel hello for me! Have fun in Hawaii!

Best,

Jon Lefrandt